The Indian Hill School District utilizes ongoing assessment practices to inform instruction within the classroom. The District administers assessments to all students in select grade levels and content areas for instructional planning purposes. The District uses assessment to:
- Guide instruction
- Scaffold activities for re-teaching, review, and enrichment
- Differentiate curriculum
- Benchmark student achievement locally, at the state level, and nationally
- Assess student readiness for college and career endeavors
- Determine student growth throughout and across school years
- Meet the requirements of the Third Grade Reading Guarantee in kindergarten through grade three
- Meet the requirements for Gifted and Talented Identification as described in the Indian Hill Gifted Handbook
Assessment Update for the 2019-2020 School Year:
In the past, each year in grade 2 through grade 7, students participated in a group-administered ability assessment. This assessment is nationally-normed and provides information about a student’s general aptitude in school. Often, the data point associated with these results are relatively stable throughout the student’s school career. Teachers use the test results to verify the effectiveness of instructional plans in the classroom. Additionally, this data point can be an identifier of giftedness in the area of superior cognitive ability.
In most school settings, this type of ability test is given once in grades K-2 and once in grades 3-6. The study of best practice prompted inquiry into our annual administration of an ability test and its impact on classroom instruction. We concluded that the annual assessment was not providing valuable information to teachers in a manner that positively impacted instruction.
As a result, our administration of an ability assessment will take place in grade 2, grade 4, grade 5, and grade 6. We are eliminating grade 3 and grade 7.
For additional details, please visit the following links:
District Assessment Coordinator:
Dr. Melissa Stewart, Assistant Superintendent for Teaching and Learning
Indian Hill Primary School and Indian Hill Elementary School:
Dr. Erin Owens
Middle School: High School:
Cash Hayden Ester Hall
(513) 272-4642 (513) 272-4544
[email protected] [email protected]