My #IHPromise – Actively learn more each and every day in order to build a better organization that empowers students, their families, and teachers to create the best possible learning environment. Light-bulb moments make my eyes shine.
When I witness students and teachers collaborate and engage in meaningful learning – that is the best moment in my day.
Since joining the Brave family in 1995 and serving in a variety of roles, I never fail to be impressed with the innovative and child-centered approach every single employee brings to support our learners. It is truly awe-inspiring to be a part of the Indian Hill School District and to have the opportunity to make a difference for children each and every day.
Being a member of the Brave family means having the room, mentorship, and experiences that lead us all to discover and deepen our own talents, using our strengths to build community, and to welcome and support one another. Being a Brave is about bringing the best of ourselves to building a strong and sustainable district.
I want our parents to know my goal is to make sure each and every child leaves our District with the tools, skills, and knowledge to know their own strengths, to develop a passion, and to successfully pursue the path of their dreams. In order for this to be possible, every single interaction your child has with us will help them to build understanding, confidence, and to know that they are cared for and an important part of our community. That is the ultimate light-bulb moment I’m so fortunate to help create.
Began serving the Indian Hill Exempted Village School District: 1995
1989-1995: Teacher, Montgomery County Public Schools; Rockville, MD
1995-Present: Indian Hill Exempted Village School District
- Virtual Learning Options Coordinator (August 2021 – Present)
- Brave Virtual Academy Supervisor (August 2020 - August 2021)
- Gifted Intervention Specialist (August 2003 – Present)
- Technology Facilitator (August 1998 – June 2003)
- Teacher – Technology (August 1997 – June 1998)
- Teacher – 3rd Grade (August 1995 – June 1997)
2005: Instructor, University of Cincinnati
2007-Present: Adjunct Faculty, Xavier University
1989: Miami University, Bachelor of Science, Elementary Education
1995: The Johns Hopkins University, Master’s Degree in Education
2004: Xavier University, Gifted Intervention Specialist Licensure
2016: University of Cincinnati, Teacher Leader Endorsement, Doctorate of Education Degree
- Kew, B., Given, K., and Brass, J. (2011). Teachers as researchers of new literacies: Reflections on qualitative self-study. Journal of Language and Literacy Education [Online], 7(2), 67-84.
- Given, K. (2016). Beyond Novices: A Case Study of the Socialization, Induction, and Mentoring of New Experienced Teachers. (Electronic Dissertation). Retrieved from https://etd.ohiolink.edu/
- Harkness, S. S., Hedges, S., & Given, K. (2019). A technology twist on a classic statistics lesson. Statistics Teacher, http://www.statisticsteacher.org/2019/01/02/tech-twist-on-lesson/
2016: University of Cincinnati College of Education, Criminal Justice, and Human Services, Outstanding Student Award